To use an old wooden cabinet in a wet, humid setting of a bathroom you ought to consider some time getting ready the wood. Proper planning will protect the antique wood and improve its attractiveness, restoring it to a good situation and making it possible for your type and elegance shine.
The preparation of wood for use in the bathroom and contains getting rid of the old stain, wood stain once again and seal the wood. You should choose if the toilet will have a sink set up in or close to the nicely as the quantity of water that will be exposed to decide the sort of finish employed.
1. Delete the authentic finish of antiquity. Sand the finish using fine sandpaper, grit a hundred-150. Wipe surface following sanding with a damp cloth. Apply a chemical stripper to finish. Use the chemical stripper to minimize problems for the duration of cleansing. Use rubber gloves to defend your hands from chemical substances. Allows the chemical remover sit on the finish. Begin stripping the old finish when it is soft and sticky and can be peeled with a knife.
2. Clean the chemical remover timber with water. Use 120-grit sandpaper to sand until the surface is smooth to the touch and then use 220-grit sandpaper. Cleans with a damp cloth to get rid of any residue.
3. Apply a thin layer of oil-based stain. Despite the fact that there are various varieties of stains, oil-based mostly is the greatest option for wood that will be in a bathroom. Apply a second layer thicker than the first layer following it has been absorbed into the timber but ahead of it dries. Use a rag to apply the stain and rub in the path of the wood grain of the wood alternatively of going against it.
4. Remove excess stain with a clean cloth and enable the wood to dry completely. Apply a really thin layer of sealant on the dry surface. Applies evenly , permitting to dry and then sand the surface with 400 grit sandpaper. Wipe surface with a dry cloth. This will seal the stain.
5. Sealant utilized in numerous layers, sanding amongst every single coat. Employs a polyurethane sealant medium to higher gloss finish and is water resistant and resilient.
6. Choose a mirror with an sophisticated touch of antiquity to compliment your restored antique dresser. Hang the mirror on the wall right behind the toilet or attach it to the toilet itself. Keep away from excess water settle straight on the wood and install an exhaust fan (if not already put in) to make sure appropriate ventilation and decrease moisture in the bathroom.